Monday, April 13, 2009

Eminem's Predictable Return...

I'm sure by now you know that Em's video for "We Made You", the 1st single off of Relapse, was released last week. The Internet went nuts and the video was posted everywhere...you couldn't have missed it if you tried to.

Well, after I saw/heard it I decided that I wasn't in a hurry to post it. Matter of fact, I didn't even finish watching the video.

Why?...


His 1st single isn't anything out of the norm and it's exactly what you would expect from Eminem...and that's the problem.

The single and the video used the safe, cookie cutter, run of the mill formula that Em has been using for his 1st singles since "The Real Slim Shady". The crazy, insulting, pop celebrity ridden, jingle just isn't entertaining anymore. Not to mention that this song, in comparison to his other 1st singles, is pretty bad. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Em's music and I'm sure that his album is gonna be amazing, but I feel like he's gotten wayyy too comfortable with this "formula". At this point you have to wonder...

"How hard is it for Eminem to write a song where he makes fun of random pop stars and celebrities?"

Em is too talented to stick to a formula. Anybody who's ever listened to an Em album in its entirety, knows the type of material that this man is capable of writing. Some people might say "if it ain't broke don't fix it...that's what he does"...well, what if every artist just did the same thing. Just imagine how lame it would be if every time your favorite rapper dropped an album, the 1st single was based on a standard formula. I relegate that type of behavior to one hit wonders with no talent; those who are trying to recreate/emulate their initial success. When a talented artist releases a single for their upcoming album, the last thing that it should do is remind you of the 1st single off of their previous album. Just take a look at the artists below and the 1st official singles off of their albums...as you read them think about the first time you heard those singles and what your initial thoughts were...

Biggie
Juicy, Hypnotize

Kanye
Through The Wire, Gold Digger, Can't Tell Me Nothin', Love Lockdown

Outkast
Player's Ball, Elevators (Me & You), Rosa Parks, B.O.B., Hey Ya & The Way You Move

T.I.
I'm Serious, 24's, Bring Em' Out, What You Know, Big Shit Poppin', Whatever You Like

Jay-Z
Dead Presidents, Sunshine, Do It Again (Put Ya Hands Up), H-to-the-Izzo, Excuse Me Miss, Change Clothes, Show Me What You Got, Blue Magic

Lil' Wayne
The Block Is Hot, Get Off The Corner, Way of Life, Go DJ, Fireman, Lollipop

Whatever you may have thought, I'm sure it wasn't "aw here we go again...," I know I didn't feel like that the first time I heard those singles. But that's exactly how I felt when I heard "We Made You". Em's been off of the music scene for quite some time and I felt like this was his opportunity to reintroduce himself and break away from that formula that he's become accustomed to...oh well, so much for that.

Em, 50 and Dre might wanna sit down and re-evaluate their game plan regarding their approach to music. 50 who's busy being Pimpin' Curly, has yet to release a hit single and keeps pushing his album back as a result. I could be wrong, but Em's 1st single has failed to generate any excitement towards the release of Relaspe. Then there's Dre's Detox which at this point, seems like it'll come out right around the time Dre is eligible to receive Social Security benefits.

Just in case you missed it...

No comments: