Tuesday, December 8, 2009

KiD CuDi - Pursuit of Happiness...



"I’m on The Pursuit Of Happiness and I know, everything that shines ain’t always gonna be gold (Yeah) I’ll be fine once I get it...I’ll be good"

Lord knows I've done that bathroom stumble wayyy too many times to count, but I've never got drunk and passed out in the bathroom of a club (shout out to D. Green). In all fairness, that's only due to the fact that I prefer the comfort of a car.

Note To My Readers:
If we ever go out to kick it (bars/clubs) and I've seemingly vanished into thin air, chances are I'm drunk and asleep in my car, or the car of whoever drove, or on some random couch in the club, or...you get the point. Basically, I'm drunk somewhere asleep and I hope you find me. Thanks. Okay, movin' on...


This is one of my favorite songs of 2009. Believe it or not, I really fux with CuDi's album...and no I'm not depressed or suicidal. I know a lot of people wrote his album off as being nothing more than a stoner's musical suicide note. I did the same thing initially, but after giving it another chance and listening to his lyrics and the entire album (from beginning to end), I discovered it's quite the opposite.

Man On The Moon, is more of a introduction to KiD CuDi the person and it chronicles his life prior to becoming a successful artist. Unlike a lot of rap/hip-hop music today, which is overtly materialistic and misogynistic, CuDi alienates that formula and chooses to cover a lot of personable topics. The death his father from cancer when he was a child, his experimentation with drugs, personal insecurities, having no sense of direction regarding life are just some of the subjects he touches on. In all honesty, one of the most "pop"ular songs on the album, "Make Her Say" throws an otherwise cohesive album completely off. In short, they should've made it a bonus track. While the album does have a somewhat melancholy feel at first listen, after thoroughly listening to it I realized it's more inspirational than anything.

I'm not too sure if I'd call it a rap/hip-hop CD though, especially when you consider the fact he's singing on about 50% of it...it's more like a combination of rap/electronic/pop. I'm not saying it's for everyone, but Man On The Moon was definitely one of the best albums to be released in 2009...looking forward to his sophomore album.

No comments: